Reflect on a time when you discovered a new perspective that completely changed how you viewed a person, group, or place. How did your previous “single story” shape your thoughts or actions?
A perspective that changed my view on a person is the time I stopped listening to single stories about southern whites. My whole life since 2012, I’ve always seen on the news on southern Caucasian Americans being racist, and preforming terrorists acts against African Americans. It was not until 2015 that I learned not all Caucasian Americans are the same. One day, at my middle school in Alabama, I came across someone trying to trick me into doing something. I was new so at the time I didn’t understand what they were asking me to do, so I was going to probably do it out of curiosity. If it wasn’t for the fact that my one of the administrators stopped me and held the boys who tried to get me to trick myself, I would’ve had a public embarrassment story in my memory. I thank that administrator till this day, that he pulled them away from me and took me somewhere more safe with better people.
Comments
Post a Comment