Write about an experience when someone assumed something about you because of a stereotype. What was the situation, and what did you do?
One time someone assumed I was aggressive or angry because of me being African American. It was June of 2019, and me and my family were staying in a hotel in Miami for vacation. One day, we decided to go to the pool to enjoy a hot summer day. When I get there I notice one kid already in the pool. Even though I could’ve simply talked to him, I simply minded my business and went for a swim. As I’m swimming, his beach ball slowly drifts to my end of the pool. I grabbed it and gave it to him and said “here you go.” After that, he then says “I was sacred you was gonna steal my ball.” With me being bewildered at the statement, I ask him why he thought that. He then says, “I usually see people of your group aggressive and steal stuff from people.” After he said this I didn’t know how to respond to the stereotype. But I quickly informed him in the most formal tone that that’s a myth made up about people of my ethnicity and that not everyone is going to steal from you. The kid was French, and didn’t move into America till 2016. After watching news of how there’s people who’ve been robbing which is mostly shown as African American, his mind build up the idea that most African Americans steal and are aggressive. I just handled this in the way by giving him the information he needs to hear and not a single story made up by media.
Comments
Post a Comment