In “Girl” by Jamaica Kincaid, the mother provides her daughter with numerous expectations about how a girl should behave. Reflect on a specific gender expectation within your culture that has been challenging for you to navigate. Then describe one clear example of this expectation and explain why it has been difficult for you. Keep your response concise, vivid, and focused on your personal experience.
A gender expectation in my culture that has been challenging for me is to be resilient or to remain strong and hide my feelings. In my culture(the African American culture) we’re taught at a young age to have the mental toughness and to hide your feelings. For example, if you’re going through trauma in your life, you’re suppose to suck it up, hold back any tear, and go through it like a man. This has been difficulty for me because a strong amount of trauma or a series of trauma usually breaks me. Just like the time I lost my great uncle to cancer, I couldn’t hold any of my emotion back, all I could do was just flood my eyes out.
Comments
Post a Comment